Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Spring semester wind down... 2017



All paintings on this page are by Jean Bourque Copyright 2017... some may still be in progress!!

Dear Friends....

Another school year is about over and there are so many things still left to do. I have a lot of friends graduating and realize the paint studio at school is going to be pretty empty this summer.  But come fall there will be a new crop of painters moving in. As for me, i am taking classes this summer as well, so I will be in the studio and painting!!! Maybe I will get them all done in time for the Fall. (kidding, they will be done before then!)

Yes, you remember correctly, originally I had planned to graduate Spring 17, but I didn't realize just how hard academic classes would be after being away so long and after having chemo treatments. LOL! Needless to say, some semesters I quickly realized I bit off more than I could chew and had to drop a course or two here or there. Plus the issue with German 2. I dropped and choose diff language... and it's still hard but I know I have to do it. LOL!

My busiest and best semester ever was Fall 2016, I took 6 classes, worked part time, and even made the Dean's list! But I absolutely had no spare time and no fun. Spring 2017, I only signed up for 4 classes because one was a double painting class plus I also took two classes at City Arts during this time. Oil Painting, of course, but here is the surprise, I took two classes one 6 week with Stephen Whetstone in Portraits and then I did the two day workshop with Michael DelPriore also in Portraits.
No, I am not planning on becoming a portrait artist. But I can paint people, much better!!

I love abstracts and experimental art forms even more than ever, but every now and then I like to throw a person or two in the mix. Plus, I know I will eventually "have" to take figure drawing/painting at school, so I may as well prepare for it! LOL! Right now, I have paint on my arms and I am sure on my face... and I have my dirty paint apron on and have 16 paintings out I am working on. That is a lot. I think it is the most I have ever had going at one time. LOL!

You could say I have become fussier now. LOL! A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. It's been a tough semester, what with having to research, write and give 4 speeches and the second semester of Spansh. It has been a real nightmare for me. I have never been one for public speaking. It's funny because when I was a kid I loved being in plays, but after moving to SC, I became shy. I have no idea why! LOL!!

I love my drawing class. I swear I have the BEST drawing teacher ever! His name is James Busby and he is a great painter and shows in NY. He has lots of patience which as any experimental artist can tell you, is a GREAT quality when dealing with artists like me! He is very versatile his work ranges from very realistic to super abstarcat and sometimes geometric, google him... if you want to know more!

I will miss my paint mates at school as they will all be graduating all but one. I have painted a lot with Matthew Berry while he painted in the studio beside mine. I hadn't really been painting with anyone since my best friend died in 2010. So it's been really cool, to get feedback and learn ways others work when they paint.  He does really awesome work. He is really skilled in drawing and plans all his paintings. He does really large paintings often with Native Americans in them and a lot of mystery and magic. His paintings are meditative and similiar to Alex Gray. Not exactly but they are realistic, extremely well rendered and have lots of information and details to them, that I have never attempted to paint anything like them. They seem complicated but I love looking at his work. Maybe we can trade one.

Some of mine have been at the point where I thought they were done.... but my teacher or anoither painter would point out something so now.... I think I may have 2 of the 16 done. I have to have three done by Friday. Guess I need to prioritize! LOL!  Friday is final critique and last day of school, not counting finals. I have two, one in Speech and the other in Spanish 2 ...FUN, fun, Fun.... NOT!!

Hope you all are painting or doing something you love... catch ya' later,
Hasta Luigo,
Jeanee

No comments:

Post a Comment